Roughly 36% of people buying a couch or sofa say that they intend to keep their new piece of furniture for five to nine years. Meanwhile, roughly 28% say they expect to keep theirs for 15 years, or even more.
Keeping one piece of furniture for so long means that it will see a lot of wear and tear, even if its owners are fairly careful with it, or use it infrequently. This leads to couches and sofas with worn, dingy fabric and upholstery.
This condition can lead people to assume they must replace their couch outright. But instead of putting in the investment to replace a worn, but still sturdy, piece of furniture, why not buy replacement slipcovers instead?
Couch slipcovers are beautiful cloth wraps that are designed to fit the form and contours of your couch. Some slipcovers are made specifically for particular brands, or even particular sofas. Others have to be made by an industry professional according to precise measurements you give them. Luckily, these slipcovered are available in many different visual styles and sizes to give you a one-of-a-kind look for your revamped furniture.
So instead of throwing away your old couch, or buying new furniture right away, why not give it a facelift with a replacement slipcover?
The many faces of slipcovers
When you think of slipcovers, you might consider generic designs that are made to fit couches at standard sizing specifications. While these sofa slipcovers aren’t as perfect-looking as custom-made replacement slipcovers, they can still be made to look great on your sofa by folding and pinning up the loose fabric around the furniture.
A far better investment, however, is relying on replacement slipcovers. The best aspect of this type of products is that they aren’t just available for couches and sofas — you can also get them for recliners, rocking chairs, ottomans, and even dining room furniture. More often than not, you can easily find replacement slipcovers for different furniture with matching patterns and designs, enabling you to coordinate your look throughout your living room and across your home.
Once you’ve picked out and purchased your slipcover, the following steps will show you how to put it on your couch or sofa.
Instructions for Putting on a One-Piece Slipcover
- First, remove any throw pillows or blankets from the couch.
- Lay out the slipcover across the couch, from front to back. Gently drape the slipcover’s arms over the couch’s arms. Pull the slipcover over the back of the couch.
- Using a wooden spatula, tuck excess fabric from the inside arms into the spaces between the arms and the couch cushions.
- Pull excess fabric out from the middle of the seating space, towards each of the arms. Tuck excess fabric into the space between the arms and the cushions again.
- Pull excess fabric from along the backrest, tucking it tightly into the space between the back support and the couch cushions.
- If there are ties along the skirt of the slipcover, use these to pull the fabric tighter, and fasten it around the base of the couch.
- Put your throw pillows and blankets, if any, back on the couch. Enjoy your good-as-new sofa!
Instructions for Putting on a Two-Piece Slipcover
- First, remove any pillows and blankets from your couch, and also remove the couch cushions.
- Follow the above steps, from step two through step five, that apply to the one-piece replacement slipcover.
- Put the couch cushions inside of the cushion cover. Zip the cushion cover closed, and replace the couch cushions on your sofa. Rearrange any throw pillows or blankets on your couch, and enjoy!
Remember that as your family continues to use your couch or sofa, the slipcover may start to loosen a little. If this happens, simply smooth out and re-tuck the slipcover. This will keep your couch looking its best.
For the best in replacement slipcovers and more, rely on SlipcoverShop.com when you want quality products.