Good staging is key to selling a house. Staging can generally go one of two ways, and you risk turning away potential buyers if you don’t know what you’re doing. Many buyers require the full picture in order to imagine themselves living in a home. Additionally, the right décor can enhance the best parts of a building. As such, you should educate yourself on the different ways to create the perfect scene. Below, you’ll find a comprehensive guide on how to stage a home. Continue reading “Helpful Tips for Staging a House”
A small bedroom can be charming, but you don’t want it to feel too compact. Fortunately, it isn’t difficult to create the illusion of space in an area. This is as easy as implementing a few small tricks to help you maximize the space you have. As such, we’ve created a list of some simple ways you can make your bedroom look bigger. Continue reading “Clever Ways to Make a Bedroom Look Bigger”
When buying a new sofa, 36% of purchasers say they intend to keep the new item for five to nine years, while 28% expect to keep theirs for 15 years or more.
While high-quality furniture can last a lifetime if it’s well cared for, the cushions and upholstery on that furniture will rarely be as fortunate. Between kids, pets, and accidental food spills, it’s almost impossible to keep from staining, ripping, or otherwise wearing out the fabric.
Fortunately, that’s where custom pillow covers and custom slipcovers come in handy.
Custom sofa slipcovers, pillow covers, and covers for other kinds of furniture are manufactured in the United States and designed specifically for your own furniture. Read on to learn why custom slipcovers and pillow covers are the single best way to revive your furniture and redecorate your home — affordably, comfortably, and in-style.
The Problem With Standard Slipcovers
You may be thinking, “I’ve seen cheap slipcovers in my local supermarket before. What’s the big deal with custom-made ones?”
And you’re right — it isn’t actually difficult to find covers for sofas, pillows, and kitchen chairs at supermarkets and furniture stores. Usually, these are sized according to general specifications for the furniture industry, and with enough tucking and pinning (and some luck), it’s possible to get a decent fit.
But here’s the problem: slipcovers like these are going to look like oversized bedsheets on your furniture. They’re always either too small, or loose and baggy, because the manufacturer tried to make them able to fit every random piece of furniture, everywhere. They also typically feature long straps, dangling every which way, that you’re supposed to tie together to hold the cover in place.
With custom slipcovers, you don’t have to worry about the fit not being right. After taking detailed measurements of your furniture, the slipcover manufacturer will design covers that fit your own furniture perfectly.
An Alternative to Buying New, Expensive Furniture
When you need to redecorate a room, the most expensive investment you’ll need to make is in the furniture. A couch and chairs say so much about a home’s decor — you can’t simply paint the walls around them and expect that to really update your look.
But new furniture is notoriously expensive, especially when you buy furniture that is comfortable, durable, and in the exact style you’re looking for. You end up with a lot going against you. And if you like to update your home’s look with the changing fashions, changing furniture every time can be simply impractical.
Instead, you can simply buy custom slipcovers, tailored specifically to fit your furniture — and your style. This is a significantly smaller investment than buying new furniture would be, and thanks to these covers’ incredible quality, you’re getting basically the same result.
Whether you want to redecorate your home or cover up damaged upholstery, custom slipcovers are the best way to do either one.
When buying custom slipcovers or replacement slipcovers for patio furniture, one of the most important considerations is the type of fabric. That is, slipcovers for outdoor furniture are subjected to particularly harsh conditions and, as such, their fabric properties may be just as important as, or more important than, the color and pattern of the fabric. Here are five factors to consider when choosing a fabric for patio furniture slipcovers:
Outdoor patio furniture can see a lot of abuse not experienced by indoor furniture. From hot barbecue utensils to rambunctious kids with baseball bats, patio furniture cushion covers have to be able to withstand a lot of abuse without tearing. Synthetic materials, such as nylon, polytetrafluoroethylene (or PTFE), polyester vinyl, and acrylic, are usually more durable than natural fabrics. However, these synthetics, like all plastics, are made from non-renewable resources like petroleum. Moreover, some plastics are produced using bisphenol A (or BPA) as a plasticizer. BPA has been linked to possible health problems, including metabolic and reproductive disorders.
Natural materials, such as hemp and cotton, are usually not as durable as synthetics. However, when blended with synthetics or treated with a synthetic coating, they may approach the durability found in synthetic materials. Hemp, for example, is one of the most durable natural fibers available. When blended with polyester, hemp becomes even more durable and the resulting fabric takes on some of the other properties discussed below, such as water and stain resistance.
Ultraviolet (or UV) rays can cause a variety of problems for patio furniture and patio furniture cushion covers. Damage to paint and fabrics exposed to the sun is caused by a combination of UV radiation, visible light, and heat, with about 40% of the damage being caused by UV-A and UV-B rays. UV-B rays primarily affect the surface of cushions, causing colors to fade. UV-A rays are more damaging and can cause the fabric of slipcovers and even the material inside the cushion to degrade.
Certain materials are more resistant to UV rays than others. For example, synthetic materials such as polyester vinyl and nylon are susceptible to UV degradation while PTFE and acrylic are not. Similarly, cotton and wool will fade and yellow under exposure to UV radiation, while hemp is naturally UV resistant. Most materials can be treated with UV stabilizers to absorb UV radiation and reduce the fading and degradation caused by the sun.
Stain resistance is partly a function of the material used to produce the fabric and partly a function of the way the fabric is woven. For example, fabric made from synthetic materials tends to resist stains because the plastic fibers cannot be penetrated by the stain. Moreover, materials like PTFE (also known by its trade name Teflon) are too slippery for stains to stick. For this reason, PTFE and other synthetics are used to treat fabrics to confer stain resistance. Similarly, tightly woven fabric, whether natural or synthetic, tends to maintain its shape and repel dirt and stains because the weave leaves few gaps for the stain to penetrate.
Hemp is not necessarily resistant to stains, but stains often can be laundered out of hemp fabric because the structure of hemp allows it to shed an outer layer of cells. Thus, stains that would be permanent in other fabrics can often be removed from hemp fabric with normal laundering.
Whether from a rain shower or lawn sprinklers, patio furniture cushion covers are inevitably exposed to water. However, patio furniture cushion covers do not need to be waterproof. In fact, waterproof cushion covers may cause more problems than they solve by trapping moisture inside the cushion allowing water and mold damage to occur. Breathable, water resistant cushion covers, on the other hand, allow cushions to dry out, reducing the risk of mold and water damage.
Resistance to mold and other microorganisms is almost entirely a property of the material itself. Mold can grow anywhere that it can find darkness, water, and food. Cotton, for example, can hold moisture, block light, and provide a food source for mold. Hemp and synthetics, on the other hand, are inherently mold resistant since they do not provide a food source for mold.
It’s no surprise that the U.S. hotel industry makes more than $208 billion each year, but countless people are relying on more affordable ways to spend the night in a new town. In fact, more people than ever are relying on recreational vehicles and boats when they want to travel somewhere new. By modding these forms of transportation with cozy home fixings, it’s an easy and frugal way of living in comfort.
When it comes to maintaining your RV or boat, however, cleaning might be the last thing on your mind. But these modes of transport are built for activities, many of which might result in a few accidents along the way. When you want to ensure that these summer vessels stay in tip-top shape for years to come, rely on these handy ideas.
Invest in a handheld vacuum
There’s nothing worse than sitting on your favorite bench only to find that crumbs have invited ants to your party. By relying on a quality handheld vacuum, you can clean up spot messes with ease and navigate those hard-to-reach corners. Prevent critters from eyeing your recreational vehicles with this simple purchase.
Seal your doors and windows properly
One of the worst plagues on your RV or boat is moisture. Without properly sealed windows and doors, mold and mildew have the potential to ruin your summer weekend by the lake. Worse yet, your boat and RV could start to take on water damage from too much humidity over time. This threat is particularly devious since you often notice the damage when it’s too late.
By properly sealing your doors and windows, you can prevent any moisture or debris from making its way into your clean space. If you have a dehumidifier, it might be in your best interest to tape windows shut and rely on a draft stopper to prevent moisture from getting in. Should your RV or boat take on any mildew, be sure to wash cushion covers or other forms of couch slipcovers in white vinegar to kill all the spores.
Keep it clean with zippered cushion covers
While you might use every trick in the book to keep your RV or boat clean, there’s always the threat of a simple spill or accident. That’s why you should always rely on quality zippered cushion covers to wash when it’s needed.
In the event you can’t remove your cushions for a good deep-clean, you can always rely on elastic cushion covers, too. These options are perfect for non-removable cushions or chairs that need a little sprucing up. Best of all? They stick on tight but can be removed with ease when a good washing is needed.
Are you interested in buying elastic or zippered cushion covers for your boat and RV? Keep your recreational forms of transportation safe by relying on the SlipcoverShop.com today.
Maintaining a beautiful home isn’t always easy. When you have children, pets, and a busy schedule, things can get out of hand. Hair and spills can make a mess of your furniture, and keeping your pet beds clean can seem like a never-ending chore.
A great way to combat these issues is with the help of slipcovers. Couch slipcovers, pet bed covers, and ottoman covers are all great ways to keep your home looking great no matter what you’re up against. Here are five reasons you should consider investing in slipcovers for your home:
1. Easy to Clean
Unlike couches and bulky pet beds, couch slipcovers and pet bed covers are easy to clean. You can simply take them off and put them in the wash. Any time there is a spill or the dog hair gets too thick, just toss them in with the day’s laundry. You don’t have to vacuum and shampoo your couch or try to fit your entire dog bed into the washer.
2. They’re Decorative
Slipcovers are a great way to change up the look of your house in minutes. You can buy themed sets for your living room and swap them out when you decide you want something different. Going from floral to a geometric pattern is as easy as changing out the covers. You can even get throw pillow covers and have like-new pillows without buying more.
3. Easy to Use
Couch slipcovers and other kinds of covers are very easy to use. They are designed to slide easily on and off your furniture. You don’t have to fight to get them to fit or stress every time you have to take them off to clean them.
4. Blend Mismatched Furniture
Sometimes we get furniture from thrift stores or couches are given to us by family members. This can lead to mismatching furniture that throws off the look of your home. With slipcovers, you can coordinate your mismatch furniture and make it blend seamlessly together.
Slipcovers offer solutions to all of your furniture struggles. They make having a clean and decorative living room easier than ever. You can buy multiple patterns and colors, and have a good time changing up your house whenever you feel like it.
Buying the right ottoman covers is no easy task. No matter where you buy them, you will always find plenty of varieties. For this reason, you have to understand the most important factors to consider.
For instance, you will notice that they consist of different types of fabric. Definitely, people choose different materials because of their unique needs. So, why should you focus so much on the material?
Materials will determine how much protection you give to your seats
The main purpose of buying a bolster cover is to protect the seats from damage. You also want to ensure that they do not get dirty. To add to that, you want to keep them away from sharp objects that can tear them. If you are using them near water, you will want to keep them dry all the time. You should, therefore, be looking for materials that can provide all these characteristics. Of course, not every material can provide adequate protection. You have to choose carefully.
Materials will affect the cleaning and maintenance routines
How often do you clean your seats? If you are cleaning them too often, it is because the material gets dirty fast. It could be that there are young kids in the house or pets that like to jump onto the furniture. This situation means that the likelihood of the seats getting dirty is high no matter how hard you try to keep them clean. Yet, it can be easier when you cover them with a material that is easy to clean. When you go to buy ottoman covers, you will notice that some materials do not need too much cleaning. Besides, you can always replace couch slipcovers when you do not have time to clean them.
Materials determine how long the seat lasts
The durability of ottoman covers depends on the materials. Weak materials will tear fast while a strong one lasts much longer. You need to first assess the conditions under which they will be used. If they are always in use, they will have to be strong enough to must withstand tough conditions. Ottomans in your guest room, however, might not be used quite so much. In this case, you can get away with a thinner ottoman cover as long as you’re willing to change them out often. Nobody wants to keep buying a new ottoman cover when they know that they can avoid it. You may want to read a few reviews about materials or talk to your local ottoman cover supply store to learn about their durability.
Materials affect the coziness of the seats
Anyone that owns a camelback sofa knows the importance of coziness. It feels good to make the seats warm and comfortable. When you do that, they become your favorite resting place. For example, you will want to lie on your sofa couch when watching TV. In that case, you should start by finding the right sofa slipcover materials. A good example is cotton which is a lightweight and breathable fabric, apart from its ability to withstand high temperatures.
Materials point to the price
Do you often wonder why ottoman covers come with different price tags? The difference in price is, in part, because of the type of material. Apart from the designs, size, and quality, you will want materials that bring out the best in your furniture. Manufacturers are always searching the market for new ideas. After all, it only makes sense that they want to find the right fabric for the covers they produce. The end result? You may pay a higher price than the rest but you can rest assured that you’re getting one of the best ottoman covers on the market. It is the same thing when looking for custom pillow covers, daybed covers, and any other slipcover for your home. You will notice that, like the seats, throw pillows need the same effect. Keep in mind that the focus should be on comfort, style, and design of your sofas.
It is clear that ottoman covers can enhance the quality of your seats if you choose the right materials. Remember that the most important thing is to protect the seats and make them more attractive. Thus, you need to take time and identify the types of covers that suit your seats. Everyone has their unique preferences when it comes to choices.
Roughly 36% of people buying a couch or sofa say that they intend to keep their new piece of furniture for five to nine years. Meanwhile, roughly 28% say they expect to keep theirs for 15 years, or even more.
Keeping one piece of furniture for so long means that it will see a lot of wear and tear, even if its owners are fairly careful with it, or use it infrequently. This leads to couches and sofas with worn, dingy fabric and upholstery.
This condition can lead people to assume they must replace their couch outright. But instead of putting in the investment to replace a worn, but still sturdy, piece of furniture, why not buy replacement slipcovers instead?
Couch slipcovers are beautiful cloth wraps that are designed to fit the form and contours of your couch. Some slipcovers are made specifically for particular brands, or even particular sofas. Others have to be made by an industry professional according to precise measurements you give them. Luckily, these slipcovered are available in many different visual styles and sizes to give you a one-of-a-kind look for your revamped furniture.
So instead of throwing away your old couch, or buying new furniture right away, why not give it a facelift with a replacement slipcover?
The many faces of slipcovers
When you think of slipcovers, you might consider generic designs that are made to fit couches at standard sizing specifications. While these sofa slipcovers aren’t as perfect-looking as custom-made replacement slipcovers, they can still be made to look great on your sofa by folding and pinning up the loose fabric around the furniture.
A far better investment, however, is relying on replacement slipcovers. The best aspect of this type of products is that they aren’t just available for couches and sofas — you can also get them for recliners, rocking chairs, ottomans, and even dining room furniture. More often than not, you can easily find replacement slipcovers for different furniture with matching patterns and designs, enabling you to coordinate your look throughout your living room and across your home.
Once you’ve picked out and purchased your slipcover, the following steps will show you how to put it on your couch or sofa.
Instructions for Putting on a One-Piece Slipcover
- First, remove any throw pillows or blankets from the couch.
- Lay out the slipcover across the couch, from front to back. Gently drape the slipcover’s arms over the couch’s arms. Pull the slipcover over the back of the couch.
- Using a wooden spatula, tuck excess fabric from the inside arms into the spaces between the arms and the couch cushions.
- Pull excess fabric out from the middle of the seating space, towards each of the arms. Tuck excess fabric into the space between the arms and the cushions again.
- Pull excess fabric from along the backrest, tucking it tightly into the space between the back support and the couch cushions.
- If there are ties along the skirt of the slipcover, use these to pull the fabric tighter, and fasten it around the base of the couch.
- Put your throw pillows and blankets, if any, back on the couch. Enjoy your good-as-new sofa!
Instructions for Putting on a Two-Piece Slipcover
- First, remove any pillows and blankets from your couch, and also remove the couch cushions.
- Follow the above steps, from step two through step five, that apply to the one-piece replacement slipcover.
- Put the couch cushions inside of the cushion cover. Zip the cushion cover closed, and replace the couch cushions on your sofa. Rearrange any throw pillows or blankets on your couch, and enjoy!
Remember that as your family continues to use your couch or sofa, the slipcover may start to loosen a little. If this happens, simply smooth out and re-tuck the slipcover. This will keep your couch looking its best.
For the best in replacement slipcovers and more, rely on SlipcoverShop.com when you want quality products.
With summer finally here, many people will be spending much more time outside in their yards. You can make the most of this time by adding some key features to your patio that you can enjoy for years to come. Use these three ideas to get you thinking about what your patio can do!
- Add a pergola: In the hotter months, a bit of shade can make all the difference. A pergola helps shelter you from the sun’s rays without blocking them out completely. The structure can also be covered in hanging plants or vines, adding new levels to make your yard’s greenspace more dynamic. Place some chairs with ottomans and ottoman covers under your pergola to create the perfect spot to relax out of the intense sun.
- Have it double as a kitchen: If the idea of summertime barbecues and outdoor family meals excites you, you should consider investing in the necessary components for an outdoor patio kitchen. Get a grill, a food prep surface, and a minifridge, and you’re well on your way to feeding and entertaining guests all while in your backyard. Be aware, though — this makes your outdoor furniture much more vulnerable to stains, as people can accidentally spill food and drinks. With most custom made patio furniture cushion covers from Slipcover Shop being machine washable, you can simply throw dirty ones in with the laundry and have them looking like new. And because they are tightly woven, the covers will repel dirt and always keep their shape.
- Add a space for fires: One way to maximize the time you can comfortably use your patio each year is to build a spot for warm, cozy fires. This can be accomplished using a fire pit or fireplace; the one you choose will depend on available space, budget, time frame, and personal preference. A firepit will generally be cheaper and take less time to build, while a fireplace is a more involved construction task. Another advantage to firepits is the fact that they offer 360 degrees of heated space, while a fireplace provides half that. Whichever you choose, place some nice recliners with recliner seat covers by the fire to enjoy a nice fireside nap in the crisp fall weather!
For patio furniture cushion covers that will keep your patio looking its best, browse the selection at Slipcover Shop!
If you have cats or dogs, you may find yourself looking for ways to clean your furniture. Some people opt for pet cover solutions to keep it all looking great. If you do not want to use these items to cover up your furniture, there are other things you can to keep your home clean when you have pets living with you.
- Duct tape is great at removing pet hair. There are almost too many ways duct tape can be used around the house. If you do not want to use pet cover solutions, sofa slipcovers, recliner seat covers, and the like to cover your furniture pieces, you can get all the hair from your cats or dogs off by using duct tape. It is very sticky and can pull up the fur or hair in a way that is more effective than a vacuum. If you take a paint roller and put duct tape with the sticky side out, you can roll it over your furniture and get rid of the pet hair and fur quickly and easily.
- Use products with enzymes to deal with odors and stains. There are a number of products out there that are full of natural enzymes to work on the compounds found in most stains made by pets and the smells they create. These enzymes will naturally neutralize the odor and get rid of the stain. Once the organic material in the stain is gone, the enzymes evaporate. This process works in either several hours or several days. These products also work on pet cover solutions.
- Wrap cords with plastic conduits. It is no secret that cats and dogs can enjoy chewing on power cords. This is dangerous for the cat or dog and can be destructive for the cords in your home. One solution is to get flexible plastic conduits that can be wrapped around all of the cords you want to protect. Also, as an added bonus, you can bundle several cords in these pieces so that you can make it all look less cluttered. Pets often lose interest in the cords when they are less fun to chew on.
- Get some pet repellent. If you do not want to use one of the pet cover solutions but you want to keep your cat or dog from jumping onto your furniture, you may want to think about getting some products that repel the animals from your furniture. You can spray your furniture with something they do not like but will not stain your furniture. Some people put plastic protectors that have a prickly side. When that is placed face up, animals will learn that jumping on the couch is not a pleasant experience.
- Use baking soda. Baking soda us a great product for getting rid of any odors you cat or dog left behind on your furniture. All you need to do is sprinkle it on the furniture and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. This is non-toxic and will not stain your fabric so you can use as much as you want. Vacuum up the baking soda after it has been allowed to sit on the furniture and you will notice the pet smell is gone.
- Keep pets off your furniture with tin foil. If you place a strip of tin foil on your couch or chairs, your cat and dog will not want to sit on it. It is not very comfortable for a dog and it will drive your cat to distraction. This is a safe yet effective way to break them of the habit of sitting and sleeping on your furniture.
- Vacuum your pets. One way to get rid of excess hair or fur on Fluffy or Fido is to use the vacuum directly on the pet. Cats are well known to be scared of vacuum cleaners but if you start early, you may find that they like it.
As much as Americans love their pets, they can be messy. Getting furniture with tightly wound fabric can help you avoid pet stains. For everyone else, these seven tips can help you clean up after your cats or dogs.