Polyester furniture has a lot of draws. Polyester is a very durable, stain-resistant man-made fabric, and its color lasts a long time without fading. Despite its durability, one must still carefully care for polyester in order for it to last as long as possible. Check out this guide on how to care for polyester furniture.
Polyester furniture is notoriously easy to maintain, and it doesn’t require too much regular upkeep. One way to keep it clean and long-lasting is to vacuum it regularly. Every week or two, gently vacuum the entire piece of furniture to collect any leftover crumbs or dirt to avoid stains or dirt buildup, which could eventually cause discoloration. A good tip for any type of furniture is to keep it out of prolonged direct sunlight, which can cause fading even in fade-resistant fabrics such as polyester.
When spills inevitably happen on your polyester furniture, follow these steps to prevent stains and to maintain the integrity of your fabric:
- Using a soft cloth, gently blot any wet spots caused by the spill without pressing too firmly, which can damage polyester fabric.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the spill area and let it sit for about 20 minutes. This will absorb the excess moisture caused by the spill.
- After 20 minutes pass, use a vacuum to remove the baking soda.
- Create a solution of warm water and a small amount of mild detergent. Dip a soft cloth or gentle sponge into the solution, wring it out thoroughly, and gently scrub the spill area in a circular motion.
- Once you’ve scrubbed to your satisfaction, wet a clean, soft cloth with warm water. Then, wipe off the solution from the spill location.
- Let your fabric dry.
Pet hair management
The best way to manage pet hair on polyester furniture is by regularly running a lint roller over the entire piece. Another option is to invest in a slipcover that you can easily remove and wash. Easy Fit offers a wide variety of slipcovers for almost any piece of furniture, from dining chair covers to entire three-piece sectional couch covers.